23 Jul 2014

Choreography - Magnetic Baton Manipulation

If you are going to use music in your act I think it is important to choose the right composition and choreograph your performance to fit with it. It is all to easy to work out a routine and then try to find music to play whilst you do it, but do you really want the music to just be an add on after thought. I have always preferred performances that are built around the music. They are the most memorable acts for me, the ones I will say "Do you remember the hoop routine that..." or "I'll never forget that staff routine I saw 7 years ago at..." Skills with props may have moved on and I may have seen lots of technically more exciting routines, but it is always the ones that are, in my eyes and ears, more roundly fitted together that stick in my mind. I will never forget the contact routine that Tom did at Play. The music and his movement fitted so perfectly together that it is ingrained in my brain. If I can find video footage of it I'll post it up here.

Today I saw this video on Facebook and wanted to share it as Shao's routine perfectly shows what I mean. The overall tone of the music is metallic, like the baton ends. Shoa's motion fits perfectly to the sound track and echoes the sounds you hear. Try watching it without the sound and you'll see how important it is to the whole routine. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment